[Editing, sadly, as OCD monster is having trouble reading]
When I saw this my first reaction was to get really pissed off. I wanted to respond with a rant back about how while white privilege certainly exists, so does anti-white racism and I was going to be very angry.
But then I looked over her blog, and I realized that yelling back at someone who’s screaming will just result in more noise and nobody hearing a thing.
Instead, I’d like to say that I’m glad some people are so passionate about feminism and racism and every -ism in the book. I wish more people would care. But we have to look at tone. Being patronizing won’t make anyone listen to you. Being angry won’t make anyone listen to you. Saying you hate everyone except for the people who are equally angry certainly won’t get you any reasonable friends.
People don’t like to listen to someone who’s closed minded, and you can be the most socially liberal person in the universe and still be the most closed minded person in the world. I consider myself an extremely socially liberal person, and I am immediately turned off by feministilicious because of the way she addresses her audience. Her anger makes me feel pushed away despite the fact that I too am a feminist, anti-racist, member of the LGBT* community. It’s very hard for me to see past “I am getting so fucking sick of white people” doing whatever they’re doing. Bad intro sentence. Turns off a large part of your audience. Lumps all white people into one category, and that’s exactly what she’s complaining about white people doing to minorities.
I could go through and talk about all the patronization and fallacies I saw just skimming her blog, but I won’t, because that would invalidate my argument. I’ll just finish by saying that I’ve seen quite a few of these type of people, the ones who have the same politics as I do but whom I wouldn’t want to be associated with. If you’re turning off people who agree with you, do you think you have a chance of changing anyone’s opinion?
I have to admit, I’m surprised that someone with a feminist card pulls up the tone argument, seeing as women get shut down all the time for being too hysterical, too angry, etc. The thing about the feminists with race privilege that I’ve met, and that I see in these fail reblogs, is that they deny this aspect of our oppression in many, many derailing ways — regardless of their position on the political spectrum. The fact is, people with race privilege throw us under the bus. A hell lot. We don’t tend to say much about it because we’ve been so conditioned against it, so when a marginalised peep stands up and shouts DID SOMEBODY SAY A REVOLUTION?! people with race privilege go into full-blown emergency-containment mode and try their best to stifle the voice that had to fight so many hurdles to get out in the first place. The thing is, we can’t exactly not talk about these things, even if they are aspects of you, because that oppresses us. We don’t have an obligation to make you feel comfortable about that, because it hurts us in ways you can never begin to understand. & yeah, it’s something you can’t help, but you’re a jerk if you try to use that to punish us further.
People with feminist cards and race privilege are perhaps more guilty than others, because they should be aware of oppression and how some of us have intersecting ones that are like standing in a room where everyone is throwing things at each other and you are shouting at them to shut up & nobody is listening.
& when you’re called out, the defences are always self-evident, and inevitably so defensive they’d be amusing if we weren’t trying to have a discussion about how race privilege affects us.
P.S. Hey feministilicious, I hope you didn’t mind me poking my brownbrown nose in and giving do paise. ^^
- tijolinho reblogged this from autumninganymede
- autumninganymede reblogged this from readnfight
- freshwoundsacidwords likes this
- fullmoonmischief likes this
- siddharthasmama reblogged this from corazon-lleno-de-hielo-seco
- corazon-lleno-de-hielo-seco reblogged this from nueva-bordena
- bookishboi reblogged this from quintessentially-queer
- icefast likes this
- down-sizing likes this
- the-cyclopes-are-watching likes this
- allybis likes this
- sumanamonomnom likes this
- lightbeforetherain likes this
- femaleriot reblogged this from break-all-the-chains
- femaleriot likes this
- thegirlwithbluehair likes this
- alyshabee likes this
- rainybones likes this
- amarantoseverlasting reblogged this from break-all-the-chains
- mediumtrip likes this
- hey-henhen reblogged this from stayseeloo
- stayseeloo reblogged this from mimicryisnotmastery and added:
- voisineeeeeeeeeee likes this
- thevicarorwhatever likes this
- cakedonuts likes this
- progressive-insanities reblogged this from gematriya
- puggbutt reblogged this from handsomephillip and added:
- artadaykeepsthecraziesaway likes this
- misandrist likes this
- touchn2btouched likes this
- ease-on-me reblogged this from gematriya and added:
- malarkiness likes this
- vita-dulcis likes this
- captainsway likes this
- articlesofcleansingbreath likes this
- -synchronicity likes this
- thefantasticrobertsons reblogged this from sowingdoubt and added:
- doll-flesh likes this
- i-am-a-child-of-time likes this
- comicism likes this
- musedweller likes this